The Graduate Student Senate is sponsoring an academic support reimbursement program to help graduate and professional students with costs associated with research, academic training, and professional development. To be eligible, the applicant must be a graduate or professional student enrolled in a degree program at UT.
Expenses that can be covered:
- Books, including e-books
- Professional membership fees
- Registration for attending virtual conferences or professional development workshops
- Fees for professional exams
- School supplies
- Research supplies or equipment
- Professional journal subscriptions
Examples of expenses that cannot be reimbursed:
- UT tuition and fees
- Personal items
- Office furniture
- Travel costs
Students interested in reimbursement should submit the Academic Support Reimbursement Form and attach receipts and proof of payment for each item listed. The form and receipts should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Acceptable receipts must include the following:
- Date of purchase
- Name of vendor
- Name and cost of each item purchased.
- Proof of purchase (credit card purchases should include the name of the student on the receipt; otherwise, the receipt should indicate a cash sale)
- Total amount of the purchase
Please note that order forms are not acceptable as receipts. Reimbursement may include taxes and shipping, if these costs are included on the receipt. However, you will not be reimbursed for any credits applied to the purchase such as gift cards, reward points, or other promotional discounts. Students may submit more than one Academic Support request, but the total of all requests cannot exceed $200. In an attempt to help fund as many students as possible, students are allowed only one GSS Travel Award or GSS Academic Support Award per year.
Deadlines for GSS Academic Support
- Requests for items purchased between July 1, 2021, and November 30, 2021, must be submitted by December 15, 2021
- Requests for items purchased between December 1, 2021, and May 23, 2022, must be submitted by May 31, 2022
- Requests submitted after this deadline cannot be fulfilled
Students will be notified by email of the amount to be received and funds will be disbursed to the student’s MyUTK account through the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships. Students with existing student loans should check with the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to determine whether the Academic Support Award will impact these loans amounts. Funding may be subject to taxation. Any questions about academic support should be directed to email@example.com for a prompt response.