Please welcome Hunter Hammock, Ph.D. student, Plant, Soil, and Environmental Sciences Department as President-Elect, and Mohamed Al Sager, Ph.D. Student, Energy Science Engineering Department as Vice President-Elect. We are excited to have them starting their involvement as elected officials.
Thank you for allowing us to serve you this past year. We look forward to seeing the accomplishments of the Senate under its new leadership with President-Elect Hunter Hammock and Vice President-Elect Mohamed Al Sager.
Austin Boyd & Shahram Hatefi Hesari
The Graduate Student Senate’s annual election of officers (President and Vice President) will be held online April 19 -23, 2021. This is an open call for candidates. These elected officers will serve a term of one year, May 2021 – April 2022. The duties of both the President and Vice President are outlined in the GSS Bylaws (Article III).
- Must be currently enrolled in one or more credit hours and in good academic standing in the Graduate School, College of Veterinary Medicine, or College of Law.
- Must be enrolled as a full-time student for no less than two consecutive semesters (excluding summer) following the elections, with flexibility to attend regularly scheduled meetings in the role of GSS President or Vice President.
- Committed to working diligently, advocating on behalf of all graduate and professional students, and serving as official representatives of the Graduate Student Senate.
- Willing to carry out the duties and responsibilities in accordance with the GPSA Constitution and GSS Bylaws (https://gss.utk.edu/gss-bylaws-constitution/ ).
The role of an elected officer affords a unique glimpse into the complex network of individuals and offices across campus and affords opportunities to meet and work closely with key administrators. In addition, a stipend (paid out over 10 months) is allocated for the officers in the total amount of $3,000 for the President and $2,000 for the Vice President.
Candidate Application/Letter of Intent
- Position for which you would like to run (either President or Vice President)
- Copy of your resume, including your leadership experience (including GSS service)
- Short statement of intent (i.e. explain to the electorate why you would like to be elected).
All emails of intent must be submitted by Monday, April 12 @ 5 p.m.
Voting will take place from April 19 – 23. Announcements will be made the following week.