Skip to content


Deadlines for travel awards typically fall at the beginning of each academic semester. Specific dates for submitting an application and dates for each travel period may be found on the GSS website. Applicants from the College of Arts and Sciences and the College of Education, Health, and Human Sciences must submit their applications to their respective deans two weeks before applicants from all other colleges, as reflected in the deadlines posted on the website.

Early submission deadlines are set at the request of each college dean. This is typically because each application is reviewed individually by the dean to determine how much additional funding will be granted by the college.

The GSS president may be reached by email at or by telephone at 974-1015, and the chair of the GSS Travel Awards Committee can be reached by email at

No. The amount an applicant is awarded is the maximum that he or she may receive from GSS, but applicants are guaranteed only to receive the amount for which they present receipts for acceptable travel expenses.

Applicants should notify the Travel Awards Committee chair via email at Applicants who are offered awards but do not use them are eligible for awards in a subsequent travel cycle during the academic year provided they withdraw their applications.

The mission of the GSS Travel Awards Committee is to make a determining difference in as many students’ travel needs as possible, both to give students the opportunity to participate in scholarly activity and to increase the University of Tennessee’s presence at prestigious conferences. Given the large number of applications received for each travel cycle and the budget within which the committee must operate, it is necessary to limit the travel awards to one per student per academic year.

Applicants should submit their travel awards letter, as well as all receipts for acceptable travel expenses and proof of attendance, to their departmental secretary or other departmental representative responsible for travel claims. He or she will then submit the request to the Treasurer’s Office using the Student Government Association account number.

The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System and partner in the Tennessee Transfer Pathway.